- Analog (not digital) watch or clock
- Ruler Square of cardboard with sides 12” or longer
- Cardboard paper towel tube
- Tape or hot glue
- Dark-colored marker
What to Do:
1. Place the cardboard in a sunny, flat location in the garden or yard.
4. Set the timer for an hour. When it goes off, repeat step 3 and draw a new line to mark the new time. Repeat until you have marks for all of the daylight hours.
Be sure to mark the exact position and direction of your sundial if you need to take it inside in case of rain; otherwise, it won’t work when you put it back outside. Interested in creating a more permanent sundial? Experiment with other objects with flat, round tops (like an old terracotta plant saucer or tree stump), along with leftover lumber and some paint. For more sundial activities, ideas, and info, download Telling Time: No Clock Necessary!