A window platform handles clutter by giving you a designated place for your plants. While you free up space, you’re gardening, too, providing a handy growing space for the fragrant herbs that add spice and flavor to your favorite dishes.
Before you begin this project, consider these two things:
- Choose a bright window for your herbs. Southern exposure is ideal, but east- or west-facing windows can also work. Avoid dim, north-facing windows.
- To figure out how wide to make your platform, decide on the size and number of pots you want. A 1‚ x 6‚ board will give you a platform about 5½‚ wide, while a 1‚ x 8‚ board will be about 7½‚ wide. You want the platform to be wide enough to hold your pots, but not so wide that it interferes with things like the movement of the sink faucet or your ability to open and close the window.
- Board (real wood, not fiberboard) or scrap wood- Brackets and screws- Stud finder- Tape measure- Pencil- Drill- Saw- Level- Paint or stain and brush- Pots and saucers- Miracle-Gro® Indoor Potting Mix- Herb plants from Bonnie Plants® (or other)
- Miracle-Gro® Indoor Plant Food
1. Choose brackets that will support the weight of your platform plus the potted herbs, and are long enough to support the entire width of the board. If
2. Use a stud finder to locate the studs on each side of the window. Measure from the top of the window as far down as you want the platform, and mark that spot with a pencil. Do the same thing on the other side. Attach the brackets at the marks, making sure they’re on the studs.
3. Measure from one bracket to the other. Cut your board to that length plus another 3 to 4 inches, so the board will extend slightly past the brackets. Put the board on the brackets and use a level to be sure it isn’t slanted.
4. Remove the board and paint or stain it. When dry, put it back on the brackets and attach with screws.
5. Fill pots with Miracle-Gro® Indoor Potting Mix, plant Bonnie Plants® herbs, and water thoroughly. Place the pots in saucers to catch any drips, and arrange them on the platform.
6. After a month, begin feeding with Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food, following label directions.
7. Turn the plants from time to time to get full benefit from the sun, and water when the top inch of soil feels dry. Harvest your herbs often and enjoy!