Plants That Belong Together
Discover the Dream Dups that grow well and look great together
As we design our dream gardens, it's common to think of each plant as its own entity. But what if you could grow a garden that works as a beautiful ecosystem?
Some plants can actually encourage each other to grow more and produce fruit, and – let's face it – they just look great together. Complementary colour combinations make for striking gardens, and who doesn't want that?
So whether you're looking to shake things up as the seasons change or just spruce up your garden, one thing is for certain: these outdoor beauties were made for each other.
#1) Angelonia Raspberry & Vinca Polka Dot
- Angelonia Raspberry Fact: Characterized by deep pink flower spikes that are ideal for vases.
- Vinca Polka Dot Fact: Prized for its white petals with rose-colored eyes.
- Pairing Fact: This pairing is all about color coordination. The raspberry-pink of the Angelonia pulls the pink center of the vinca out to create this Dream Duo.
#2) PETUNIA & BLUE SALVIA
- Petunia Fact: This mega bloomer is known for its colorful blooms that last all season long.
- Blue Salvia Fact: Bright blue flower spikes make this plant a big draw for hummingbirds and butterflies.
- Pairing Fact: These bloom buddies work great together. The salvia towers above and the petunias fill in around it.
#3) Pink Pentas & Watermelon
- Pink Pentas Fact: These beauties are sometimes called star flowers because of their star-shaped blooms.
- Watermelon Fact: There are over 1,000 varieties of this summertime picnic staple, and each one is equally delicious.
- Pairing Fact: These two go hand in hand. The pentas bring pollinators in the summer, which helps the watermelon plant produce fruit.
#4) Rosemary & Tomato
- Rosemary Fact: This aromatic herb is native to the Mediterranean region and can live for up to 30 years.
- Tomatoes Fact: Fruit or vegetable? Depends on the context. One thing is for certain: they are the versatile rockstars of gardening.
- Pairing Fact: An iconic duo in many recipes, these two also grow well together. Rosemary can act as a deterrent to many common pests for both plants.
ANOTHER POTENT COMBO: SOIL AND PLANT FOOD
Pairing the right soil and plant food is an easy way to improve your odds for growth success. The soil provides the right root environment with a helping of nutrition, while the plant food ensures that your garden is well-fed throughout the season. Here's how to choose the right soil and plant food combo for different environments.
The dirt that's already in your garden may not be the best for growing. And the soil itself simply doesn't contain enough food to keep your plants fed throughout the growing season. That's where the right soil and plant food combination comes in.
- Before planting, improve the existing soil by mixing a 3-inch layer of Miracle-Gro® All Purpose Garden Soil in with the top 6 inches.
- A month after planting, shake Miracle-Gro® Shake ‘n Feed® All Purpose Plant Food on the soil around your plants to feed them for up to 3 months.
Raised bed gardens:
Unlike in-ground gardens which start with some nutrients in the existing soil, raised beds rely on the soil and food you provide.
- Start by filling your raised beds with Miracle-Gro® Raised Bed Soil to create a fertile foundation for your plants.
- A month after planting, replenish the nutrition in the soil with Miracle-Gro® Raised Bed Plant Food. It's the perfect complement to the soil and will help keep your plants growing strong.
You can't just scoop dirt from your yard into pots and expect the plants to thrive. Instead, you need to fill containers with a light, fluffy, nutrient-rich potting mix that allows water and air to move easily around the roots.
- Fill containers with Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix to help the soil hold onto just enough water for the plants to grow without getting soggy feet.
- A month after planting, feed your plants by mixing Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food with water in your watering can and soak the soil around the base of your plant to feed them. Reapply every 7-14 days for best results.
YOUR GARDENING SIDEKICK: THE MIRACULOUS GREEN GUIDE
Check out this handy guide and you'll find plenty of inspiration, celebrations of gardening culture, tips & tricks, and more. It really is your go-to resource for all things gardening, no matter where you are on your gardening journey.